The kids and I went to the park for a good part of the afternoon. On our way home, my 6 year old whom I refer to as Princess on here, asked what was for dinner. I didn't have anything planned at that point, so after much begging on behalf of the kids, we decided to order a pizza.
We went to pick it up and the lady who was working reached behind the counter and pulled out two lollipops. I HATE LOLLIPOPS! I am not one to give my kids candy often at all, but ANYTHING is better than a lollipop. I am hugely terrified of choking. But, seeing as how it was appeasing my 23-month old, I figured it wouldn't hurt and would keep her from screaming during the drive home which is only a couple of blocks. I briskly whisked it away from her upon our arrival home.
We ate our pizza and then the kids left the table and went into the living room to play while I cleaned up. Somehow during this time, Princess decided that she wanted her lollipop, and she also gave Boo hers. I had hoped that they would've been forgotten about by this point.
Not long after, Princess called out to me frantically. I ran to Boo, who was gagging, unable to catch her breath, with a bare lollipop stick in hand. I knew immediately that it had somehow come off the stick and she had swallowed it whole. I pulled her up to me, as I screamed and freaked out. She momentarily caught her breath, but it was obvious that something was still obstructing her airway as she couldn't speak and there was a look of desperation in her eyes. Then the gagging and vomiting began again.
I ran into the kitchen to try to find the phone to dial 911. It was right about then that she began to turn purple and go limp in my arms. "OH MY GOD, NO NO NO, PLEASE DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO MY BABY," I begged. Feeling her body go lifeless in my arms made the final moments of Freja's life come rushing back into my mind. "OH MY GOD, PLEASE DON'T TAKE ANOTHER CHILD FROM ME! I CAN'T LIVE THROUGH THIS AGAIN!!"
My fingers fumbled so badly that I hit every number but 911. I threw down the phone and ran out the door to drive the couple of blocks to the hospital myself. Princess followed behind me, hysterical, begging for her sister to not die. I put Boo, who at this point was able to breathe again, on my lap before sitting her next to me in the front seat of the car. She seemed okay as we headed toward the hospital. Scared, but okay. I was shaking uncontrollably. We circled around the hospital a couple of times before I decided she was going to be alright, then headed home.
When we got in, I went straight to my bedroom with Boo and held her, both of us covered in puke and oblivious to everything but eachother. I held her close against my chest and rocked her. I am so incredibly glad that she is okay, it is terrifying to think that in an instant, things can go so horribly wrong.
I will definately be hugging my kids extra tight before I tuck them into bed tonight.
SGM Visits The Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity House
4 years ago
8 comments:
Oh hun, that was terrifying to READ....living it must have been horrible. (((HUGS)))
I am so sorry that that happened and you've had such a fright.
I am NOT a fan of lolipops either, I rarely allow suckers. IF the kids ever get one they have to sit in front of me and eat it and I tell them that if they DARE let go of the handle than I take it away. That's more trouble than it's worth, so I'd rather they just don't ever have them!
So scary!
(((HUGS)))
This is Gina btw (mamapants OD)
i am so so so relieved to get to the end of this post and find that your little boo is okay. what a terrible experience, and i am so sorry that it triggered painful thoughts of freja's last moments. you are in my thoughts especially tonight.
How terrifying - but so glad your little one is ok.
Oh my goodness that is so scary! I was so worried for you and little Boo as I read along. I'm glad she is ok, and glad that you can hold her safe and close.
Hi there, found your blog through Once a mother's. Through this post, I could feel the terror you experienced. It is something I too have dealt with after my middle child passed away. Times when my two healthy children were choking, once almost ran over by a car,etc. Sheer terror at the thought of losing another one of my precious children. Hug them tighter, hold them longer.
I am so sad for your loss. I have a dear friend whose little girl passed away from Trisomy 18. Time passing makes it a bit easier to walk, and function but the hollowness of your child being gone never goes away. Gosh, that didn't sound hopeful at all did it? I am glad I found your blog, even after four years it helps to read other mom's who understand. Sometimes I feel so disconnected from other families...
My eldest son had a terrible bike accident 2 years ago. He suffered a traumatic brain injury which slowed his processing speed, stole much of his memory, and increased mood swings to the point of needing medication. No...he was not wearing a helmet. His helmet was attached to his back pack, so that he could put it on a block from home so that I wouldn't know that he didn't wear it. ever.
The result? We rarely ride bikes anymore as a family, because we were all so terribly traumatized by the accident. Even though we all wear helmets...it just...is so scary.
Now that our twins are gone too...life just seems really...uncertain. I am so afraid of losing anyone else. I can't handle it! I like my husband to call me when he arrives at work, and when he is leaving...because otherwise, I worry that he didn't make it there. I text my eldest all the time because I am always afraid he will get hurt again...he is 19 now. My children give me double, triple and even quad hugs at night ever since I almost bled to death two months ago...they all know they almost lost their mama. I know it too. It's really scary to understand that you came a little too close to the edge of life.
It makes us ALL love a little harder and be a little more clingy to each other.
Basically...trauma changes the patterns in the mind...routes us on a faster path to panic...and it really really sucks, but...it wakes you up too. Wakes you up to what you have so that you never ever take it for granted.
I'm so sorry you had to be so afraid for your baby...how horrible. (((HUG)))
that was so hard for me to read. i do know the feeling though. i couldn't find my middle son at the lake last month and i could only presume that he drowned. i was terrified too, shaking and drenched in sweat and so relieved to find him alive waiting for me by the car.
so glad all turned out ok. such a scary feeling.
Post a Comment