I look around and see Christmas lights lighting up the neighborhood. Christmas trees are up and on display in the windows of many homes. Happy families will soon gather together to share warm celebrations and reflections of the past year.
I'm just not feeling it.
At first I thought I was okay with it all. I though, "How much harder can it possibly be than the rest of this year has been?" And then it hit me.
There will be no excitement over "baby's first Christmas..."
There will be no squirmy baby sitting on Santa's lap with her sisters in pictures...
There will be no gifts under the tree with her name on them...
None of the cards we get will have her name included on them, as if she never existed and is no longer part of our family.
And unless I initiate any conversation about her, it's pretty unlikely that anyone in our families will probably even mention her. And they'll all be jolly and cheery and I'll long to yell in their face "DO YOU GET WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO US????????"
Instead, we - unlike any other family in our community - will be going to a Cemetary to share our "First Christmas" moments with our youngest child. I am just writhing in the unfairness of it all, and want to kick and scream and have a full-blown tantrum like a toddler. My mood, short-fuse temper, unreasonable anger, and avoidance of everyone possible are a sure sign that yep.. It's gonna be a Merry frickin' Christmas indeed.
Of course, I won't have a huge tantrum though. I'll just keep it all inside like I'm getting used to doing. I'll fake a smile if I can, and cry quietly in the shower at the end of the day until I can't feel anything anymore. I'll look the other way when I see a baby about Freja's age and shut off my wandering mind before it leads me to thoughts of what she should be doing if she weren't buried in that cold, cold ground. I'll get through it all, somehow, like I have been doing for the past eight months - right?
Christmas Day happens to be the day she would be turning nine months old. Nine months! I can't wrap my mind around the fact that soon she will have been gone longer than we had her for. Soon, we will be approaching what should be her first birthday.
Can I bear the weight of another day? Can I?
I don't know what it is, but I feel like I'm going backwards after making what I thought was 'progress' in this grief.
Seeing the snow on the ground takes me back to the days following her birth and it's a hard reality to grasp. The snow is back already? How can this be? It was just here...
It seems like my world has been on pause since March 25th, and to watch it move forward is just so.......... unnatural and surreal, and I feel so disconnected from it all.
SGM Visits The Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity House
4 years ago
5 comments:
I remember just a few months back when I felt like I was taking so many steps back. I hurt so bad. Christmas is a rough time of year. We'll be visiting too instead of spending the whole day in our pajamas by the Christmas tree.
I know one thing I'm done doing is hiding it. I'm tired of it.
I hear you. It's just not happening for me either. My husband put up a string of lights. So unlike the festival of last year. He brought in all the decorations. I'm supposed to put them up. But...I don't know how. I told my kids they could decorate the house this year...they are really excited to make it pretty for me. They keep trying to make me happy. I feel like such a jerk for making them feel that they need to find a way to make me happy again.
I feel like such a jerk for not being able to fake it.
What kind of mother AM I anyway?! Is THIS what my twins would have wanted??? I just don't know how to be what I SHOULD be.
I'm lost...right along with you.
I am so with you on the whole not feeling it. It just feels forced this year and I too am dreading everyone's happy faces at Christmas and knowing that your right that no one will mention our angels. Your not alone. *HUGS*
"On pause" and "disconnected." that is how I am feeling too. I love the new pic you added of your adorable little girl. Thinking of you.
Peace xx
This post moved me today. I'm thinking of you and your Freja today as I just found your blog. Praying you have moments that make you smile today, anyway, but not that you feel you have to force anything or rush yourself. Life for you now is what it is, and those around you need to know your life as it is, not as they wish you'd present it.
Post a Comment