So I talked to my mom on the phone today. The conversation went okay until we got to the part where she told me about someone she had been speaking to and had mentioned to this person, in her own words, that I was "currently expecting my third baby."
Blink, blink.
If I remember correctly, at this time last year I was thirty-six weeks pregnant with my third baby. I do believe that just shy of one year ago, I had a very alive and screaming baby pulled from my belly. I have the scar to prove it. I do believe that my very alive and screaming baby, although very sick, did live for fifteen days. She breathed the same air as we did for fifteen days. My mother even came to the hospital a handful of times, and saw her with her own two eyes. Although I will never quite understand why, when offered, she never wanted to hold her, but instead preferred to keep her visits very brisk and unattached as if my dying child was already 'written off' as a member of our family in her mind.
I even remember (and will never forget,) some words of wisdom she chose to share with me during one of those brief visits to the NICU. "You can have another one," and "You can start trying right away as soon as you get home!" Were two pieces of advice that she somehow found appropriate to blurt out before our terminally ill child even died. Was this supposed to help?! Because it did nothing more than show me a serious lack of compassion for what we were going through and what we had yet to face.
Of course, after completely omitting my third child's existance today, our phone conversation kind of fizzled out. I reverted back to my 'shut-down mode.' I'm so sick of going in circles about her avoidance of Freja's life and death. Why can't she acknowledge my daughter's life, however short it may have been....?
...And she wonders why I've withdrawn from her during this past (almost) year. It's because I just can't take it - the hurt that has been cause by my own MOTHER who has been so emotionally unavailable. Who makes remarks that can cut to my core and fester there for far too long. And after months of trying and trying to get that understanding from someone who should be able to provide a bit more than simply pretend my child never existed in the first place and choose to turn a blind eye to this nightmare I have lived since her death.... I am at a complete loss. How much more ignorant can you be? And how am I expected to be kind towards someone who belittles such a huge part of my life.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. I can instill in her, time and time again, that for our relationship to work, I need for this very important part of my life to be acknowledged. And time and time again, she chooses to pretend that it never happened.
I don't understand.... In some ways, she offers her whole self to me and then some. Should I need my oldest daughter to be picked up from school, or a babysitter for an entire day, or money, or other material things - she is there in an instant. But to ask for some understanding and emotional support seems like I'm asking for the impossible. And it's not the material crap that I need. She lost a son herself, and I've just expected so, so much more..... But have been grabbing desperately at nothing but air....
SGM Visits The Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity House
4 years ago
4 comments:
I'm sorry your mom said those things. ((Hugs)) Thinking of you and Freja as you approach her first birthday.
Oh my goodness I am sorry you had to hear that from own mom. Some people just don't get how difficult this really is. Your mom has a lost a child and I am sure she never really dealt with it like you are now. Before death was so hush hush compared to now, we now have blogs, support groups and so on. I am sure she aches for you but honestly doesn't know how to show you or tell you, that is why she shoes in different ways. There is still no excuse for that however in her mind she probably thinks that material things make up for her lack of compassion. Your mom's comments remind me so much of what my mother in-law has said to me, it angers me and makes me resent her so much. On days when I just feel like I am going to burst out on her I just simply lock in myself in my room (she lives with me--uugghh).
People have such a hard time dealing with the death of a baby so they just try to avoid it for whatever reason and all we want as loss mom's is for our babies to be remembered! They lived in us, they are a part of us forever. I have pulled away from so many people in life because of this, it hurts and it adds to my grief.
I pray that God is gentle to your acheing heart today and that he gives you strength to ignore such idiotic comments. Sending you a big ((hug)).
I recently read through a link someone had posted to my site for pouch sizing info. They were selling their used pouch. Someone pointed out to the original poster that she should put "sensitive" next to the link because child loss was mentioned on the site and that "might upset some people." When I saw that, I realized the answer to the big mystery is that nobody wants to bring the pain you carry onto themselves. It's a selfish thing. My initial thought when I read someone thinking my site needed a warning label so as not to upset others was, "Well, how do you think I must feel?" The answer came just as swiftly, "You don't even want to think about it." Just put a warning label on it and move on. I am sorry the person in question is your own mom and that her comments were so insensitive. My guess is that she is selfishly trying to protect her own heart and doesn't even want to fathom what you are truly feeling at this moment. Denial is such a beautiful thing for some, but when loved ones are the culprits, it can easily hurt relationships deeply. Thinking of you...praying for you always.
Oh gosh, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this! I still can't believe that after a year her heart hasn't opened to Freja or to you. :(
It's hard to understand b/c you said she herself has lost a son. Shouldn't she get it? You can only do so much in helping her see how much you need her to be there for you emotionally. It's gonna take her to do the rest. I hope that one day she does.
What's sad is she missed the opportunity to get to know a beautiful little girl who only graced this earth for a few days. She can't get those moments back.
I'm sending you a little something but you might not get it until after Freja's bday. Just wanted to let you know. I'm sure you understand seeing how we've both been busy planning!
Post a Comment