BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Birthday

11:30AM

I was awake last night as the clock turned over to midnight. I had been bracing for the turn of the day, almost expecting something significant to happen. If there's one thing I have learned in this past year, it is that time will not come to a screeching halt, and the world will not stop turning just because it feels like mine has. And of course, nothing happened when 12 AM arrived. The world did not end, nor did I spontaneously combust. DP and I did, however, stay up way too late making a cake for Freja's birthday. It was our first time using fondant, but with a few tips from a good friend of mine and after watching far too many episodes of "Cake Boss," it was indeed a huge success!

We made a giraffe cake. Giraffes always remind us of Freja. She had a stuffed giraffe that sat on top of her incubator, watching over her, while she was in the NICU. So when we began trying to decide what kind of cake to make, a giraffe cake just made sense.

I had a hard time sleeping last night. I've had an aweful cold for a few days now, so I just layed on the couch and dozed on and off. I watched the sun come up this morning and thought about Freja and about how this day last year unfolded. It was just around this time right now that we arrived for my ultrasound and found out that something wasn't right. One whole year ago since we met her. 365 days. Yet my love for her grows stronger every day.

When I finally got up for the morning, I was surprised to find a single long-stem yellow rose that DP had left for me. I just spoke to him a little while ago, and he said that he had stopped by the cemetary and left one for Freja as well. Have I mentioned lately how lucky I am to have him?

I made little packages for our family members that include a beaded sun catcher, 'Forget-Me-Not' flower seeds, a picture/video dvd slideshow which plays along to Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah,' and a framed picture that the NILMDDS photographer took of our family. I'm just making the last of the copies of dvds right now, and this afternoon we will deliver them. Then I plan to take the kids to see their sister and I have some little gifts for them to leave for her. I took the kids to the grocery store yesterday and allowed them to pick anything that they wanted for their special lunch today. Both chose those 'Lunchables' things... You know - those aweful, processed meals with the little round circles of deli meat, cheese, and crackers.

I can't even begin to explain how much I wish she was here. How empty this day feels as we 'celebrate' without her.

Going to a grave to visit our daughter on her first birthday instead of watching her dig into her birthday cake with her hands. I've been a teary mess at the drop of a hat over the past few days just anticipating this day, and wondering how I would get through it. And here we are. Here it is. It's in my face and I can do nothing but trudge onward through this day one breath at a time, forever aching for my baby but loving her ferociously.

Here is her cake:
Photobucket

Hard to imagine that last year at this time just before her birth, I looked like this (very severe polyhydramnios:)
Photobucket

Our first glimpse of perfection:
Photobucket

9 comments:

Juliet said...

Thinking of you, your family, and especially Freja today. The cake that you made is amazing! Lachlan also had a little giraffe sitting in his crib at the NICU, watching over him. I really love Freja's cake. And what a sweet and caring DP you have! Sending you soo so many virtual hugs today, to help you through today. Freja does look perfect and just so beautiful in the photo you shared.

Lisette said...

Happy heavenly birthday to sweet Freja. I could only imagine how you feel today, I will be there in a few months and it already pains me.
Your husband is just amazing. You did an awesome job on her cake, it's perfect in every way. You are a wonderful mommy.

P.S did the poly hurt you? It was so painful for me.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Freja! The world is certainly lacking some luster without you in it.

Fireflyforever said...

Remembering your beautiful sweet girl today. I LOVE the cake you made for her - Freja has a talented mummy and daddy. And the beautiful yellow roses ... what a precious way to remember your daughter. Thinking of you today.

JM said...

That cake is amazing. And what an awesome DP you have...that brought a tear to my eye. Thinking of you and your family today and remembering beautiful Freja.

Inanna said...

You did a beautiful job on the cake - so sweet! I wish Freja was with you, eating her own lunchable... sending you so much love and remembering her with you. HUGS.

Unknown said...

Ah mama, she was so gorgeous - so SO amazing. She really was so inspirational in her determination to be with you just as long as she could. She is so little but her spirit really touched me back then as it does still now. I'm crying with you mama. Wish she could have stuck around... XXXXXX

Holly said...

Hey there. :) Sorry I'm only reading this now but you get how busy all the planning has been. I must say you did a fabulous job on Freja's cake! It turned out really, really good!

I like the little packages that you made for family. How nice!!

Kids sure like those lunchables! My SD got a couple of those at the store. lol

You def had some poly going on with your belly! It can be hard to imagine that just a year ago they were still in our bellies!!

And Freja is so beautiful! :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FREJA!! YOU ARE LOVED AND MISSED!!

christie said...

I just love the cake you made. That must have been so sad baking a cake for her. I want to do something similar for Matthew but I'm afraid.

I love how you included the whole family in your celebration. I love that it gives them no choice but to remember and acknowledge her little life and death.

I'm so sorry. I wish she was here with you.