BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 28, 2010

From There to Here

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I've been having a hard time lately with processing my grief. The first several weeks after Soren's birth were a blur - a very welcomed distraction from the emotional events of Freja's birthday, death day, etc...

Now that life is beginning to once again become somewhat 'normal,' (I use the term loosely,) with the routines of caring for my three children who are here on earth, my mind has been wandering back to that 'grief place' and I've been missing Freja incredibly.

I feel terrible that I haven't gone to her grave since Mother's Day (though, DP went on Father's Day and spent some time with her.) I'm scared that it makes it look like I've just moved on, and am 'over it,' especially with the birth of Freja's baby brother. That couldn't be further from the truth. The truth is, I just haven't been able to handle the idea of going there lately. Seeing her grave is such a horrific thing - to know that my baby is down there, all alone, in that horrible cold wet ground just shatters me into a million pieces. And now there's that whole new level of grief I feel for Freja that I've been wading through since the birth of her brother. Don't get me wrong, he brings SO, SO, SO much joy to my life that has literally SAVED my life and given it a much more positive direction, but it's only natural to grieve the loss of all the new things he's doing and that we're doing with him that we never had the chance to do with her. So I'm being gentle with myself and not pushing myself to do certain things that I'm not able to do at this particular moment, knowing that the time will come when I am able to face them once again and continue to work through my grief actively. I'm well aware of the fact that I am at a much higher risk of developing PPD than most women, and I really, REALLY do not want to become debilitated and overwhelmed by depression when the most healing thing I can do for myself is to spend quality time with my sweet newborn, and be thankful to the higher powers above who have given me the opportunity to become a mother again under normal, happy circumstances.

It's hard to believe that I've just passed the fifteen-month mark since Freja's birth. It still seems so recent to me. I remember during those early weeks and months following her death, I wished for nothing more than the year to pass, to become further away from the grating, fresh pain of her loss. Now, in a way, I miss that fresh grief; Time is still moving on and each day that passes means that I am just that much further away from the time she lived. Part of me will always live in 2009 and although I wake up every morning and get out of bed and do all the things that need to be done around the house and for my kids, deep down I am still very broken over the entire experience, although I guess I'm adapting and have become more 'functionally broken.'

I've been feeling really reminscent of this time last year. Our first Summer in which we were dealing with the huge aftershock of her death. On the days that I actually felt able to leave the house, I would pack up the kids and my camera and go to the next town over. Some days we would just drive for hours, and some days we would spend time at a quiet little beach, or at playgrounds where nobody knew us. Being able to go someplace where there were no expectations of conversing with people I knew was the only way that venturing out of the house was bearable. I also found solace in photography and spent day after day searching for beauty to capture in a universe that had let me down so badly. It became my 'drug;' Finding beautiful scenes in nature brought glimpses of lightness to my being, a feeling that was otherwise nonexistant.

So here's to this second Summer which is upon us, and the constant exploration of hope, healing, and faith that we will continue to experience those moments of beauty that make life worth living.

4 comments:

Malory said...

So very much of this post rang true to my feelings. Sometimes I feel like I miss that fresh grief because I felt closer to her then. Some days I am grateful to be able to breathe again. What you wrote about nature was true for me as well. I still feel closer to her outside but I so desperately tried to find beauty in nature. I so desperately still wanted to love life & struggled so hard to find beauty in anything. I sometimes find myself outside staring into the sky the trees looking for...I'm still not clear what I'm looking for...but its a feeling that comes over me. Thank you for sharing your feelings you put some of my thoughts into words. "Finding beautiful scenes in nature brought glimpses of lightness to my being, a feeling that was otherwise nonexistant."

Holly said...

I think it's a normal thing you are going thru in processing your grief. I know other loss moms have said the same. I'm sure I will go thru it too. No doubt Soren has brought so much joy into your lives but it is also a painful reminder of what you missed with Freja. We both know you haven't moved on and forgotten.

I haven't been out to the cemetery since Memorial Day. I think. Gosh, that's awful when you can't even really remember!! It's harder for me to get out there now b/c we have different sitter who doesn't live out that direction. I think we might make a trip this Sunday after church. I think a visit is due.

Yep, 15 months just passed. I still want to post too. I don't post much anymore about what I'm feeling. Sometimes I just feel like there isn't much more to say that hasn't already been said, ya know? But if nothing else it is good for me to write it out where I am right now on this journey so that I can look back on it.

Fireflyforever said...

I related utterly to this - the life saving joy - and the bone crunching grief. I find it incredibly hard to visit Emma's grave right now - I just feel too broken by the experience.

Jen said...

you've picked my brain and wrote it on your blog..I miss the pain and feel bad almost for wanting another child to hold onto, but we need to carry on, they are always with us, our girls, just in our hearts instead <3 sorry I haven't commented much, I've been reading..just feeling like I have nothing intellegent to say...thinking of you too..xoxo